Tim Nay, M.A., M.S.W., J.D.
Tim Nay has combined decades of clinical social work experience and legal expertise to develop an insightful, innovative and people-friendly approach to assisting our clients. He held professional clinical social work licensure in Texas, Idaho and Oregon. He is licensed to practice law by the Oregon State Bar and the Washington State Bar Associations. In 1997 Tim successfully sued the United States Attorney General, Janet Reno (who Tim greatly admires) nullifying the “Granny Goes To Jail Law.”
He is the founding president of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), a Fellow of the Academy and winner of the 2007 NAELA President’s Award. He is the past Chair of the NAELA Amicus Brief Committee, member of the NAELA Medicaid Task Force; founding member and past Chair of the Elder Law Section of the Oregon State Bar and past President of the Oregon Gerontological Association and the Alzheimer’s Association of Oregon.
Tim was one of four founding members of the National Alliance of Medicare Set Aside Professionals (NAMSAP), and served as NAMSAP’s first Secretary. He is an Advisory Board member of the Academy of Special Needs Planners (ASNP). Tim is the founding President of Guardian Partners. He is the recipient of the 2019 Theresa Award.
- BA Psychology, June 1968, California State University, Los Angeles
- MA Counseling Psychology, May 1973, Chapman University, Orange, California
- MSW Clinical Social Work, May 1977, Our Lady of the Lake University, San Antonio, TX
- JD Willamette University, Salem, Oregon, May 1984
Association & Board Memberships
- Founding President & Fellow of the Academy – National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Past Chair – National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) (Amicus Brief Committee)
- Past President – Alzheimer’s Association (Oregon Chapter)
- Founding Member & Past Secretary – National Alliance of Medicare Set Aside Professionals
- Past President – Oregon Gerontological Association
- Founding Member & Past Chair – Oregon State Bar, Elder Law Section
- Legal Work Group Chair – State Plan for Alzheimer’s Disease Oregon Task Force
- Founding President – Guardian Partners
- Member – Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Member – Oregon State Bar
- Member – Washington State Bar
Practice Areas: Settlement Services • Estate & Inheritance Tax Planning • Estate Planning • Trust Administration • Elder Law • Medicaid • Special Needs Planning • Conservatorships • Wrongful Death Probate